New to Castlemartyr Resort, Twelve Ten: The Grill opens this October offering guests casual dining with a selection of contemporary favourites.
Behind the name
The castle from which the village of Castlemartyr takes its name was first built in 1210 by The Knights Templar, who were one of the most famous of the Christian military orders, under the leadership of Richard Earl de Clare, more commonly known as Strongbow.
The castle itself was built in the Geraldine style, consisting of four towers, a surrounding moat and drawbridge (remnants of all can still be seen to this day).
In the centuries that followed, the castle and surrounding lands changed hands many times, among its owners were Sir Walter Raleigh and the Fitzgerald family.
On the 28th of July 1675 Roger Boyle, 1st Earl of Orrery and Lord President of Munster was granted Lordship over the castle, town and lands of Ballymartyr by Charles II. It was at this time the area was renamed, Castlemartyr.